Monday, October 6, 2008

Lights, Camera, French Test!


Excerpt (from the back of the book): I'm going to let you in on a little Hollywood Secret: Movie stars don't always get along. It's true. You can't believe everything you hear during interviews on Access Hollywood. When a star is asked about her costar, she'll gush about how the two are best buds who go to the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf every Saturday morning after Ashtanga yoga for a fat-free vanilla Ice Blended. The truth is they probably haven't seen each other outside work in six months. Celebrities will say anything for good publicity.

How do I know? You've probably already guessed. I'm one of them. I'm Kaitlin Burke, one of Teen People's "25 Hottest Stars Under 25." Number six on Entertainment Weekly's "It List."

Kaitlin Burke is exhausted. Being one of America's hottest stars and acting on the popular soap opera Family Affairs comes with plenty of stress: from late nights shooting to bitchy co-stars. So Kaitlin decides to finally go ahead and try something she's always wanted, life as an ordinary teen. High school comes with its own pressures though and between maintaining her public appearances, juggling her homework, and working on the planning committee for her school dance Kaitlin may have signed up for a little more than she can handle.

My Thoughts

I really enjoyed this book. Calonita has a solid grasp on characterization and I really liked Kaitlin and her friend Liz. I found Skye completely believable - I've definitely met her type before. I've got a soft spot for geeks so Kaitlin's love for Star Wars endeared her to me. Enjoyed the romance aspect too; it was refreshing to see a genuinely nice popular guy. And I was cheering for K when she confronted Skye at the end of the novel. Definitely worth the $10.99.

I recommend this book for: Teens interested in showbiz, anyone who feels like their job is taking over their life, and fans of Lola Douglas' Confessions of a Hollywood Starlet.

Rating: B+

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Great review. "Secrets of My Hollywood Life" must be a very good book.
Cathy
French course