Thursday, January 22, 2009

Prostitution is Revolution

To Serve and Submit


Summary (from back cover):

Between domination and subservience exists a realm of sensual fantasy unlike any ever dreamed. Marja was born a child of the fens, young, beautiful, and free. Her days were spent searching for bog iron for her poor family and communing with the spirits of the land who both guarded and guided her. But her contentment is broken when a man comes to her small village and buys her from her father. The handsome Lexander is well-known as a procurer for the pleasure house of Vidaris, where Marja is to be schooled in the arts of seduction and carnal delight. Though frightened, Marja grows to love her master and discovers her nature as a true submissive. But when Lexander grants Marja her freedom, she discovers that not all are so kind. Like the warriors who care nothing for those they conquer-and show no mercy to those who oppose them. Now, Marja must accompany a fallen noblewoman on a perilous journey to save the land that''s so precious to them. And Marja will have to use all of her strength, skills, and cunning to survive in the war that is about to engulf them all.

My Thoughts

Susan Wright is the poor man's Jacqueline Carey. =) I don't mean it as an insult to her; it would be difficult for anyone to match the Kushiel novels. I was struck right away by the huge amount of similarities though - girl trained as a prostitute who has a rapport with the gods (or olfs, the supernatural equivalent in Serve and Submit), who is the submissive in a dom/sub relationship and who has lots and lots of sex. The main character, Marja, had this out of this world quality which I found appealing. Alot like Remedios the Beauty from One Hundred Years of Solitude (only character I really liked in that book).

Kirkus Reviews mentiones it is 'well constructed' and I think I agree. Studying for my English exam appears to have left me in a fever to analyze the world; I stopped about three-quarters in to be impressed with how well structured the plot was.

If I was going to pick one weakness in the novel: I'd have to say it's Marja's relationship with Lexander. I know she tried to explain but I honestly didn't understand why she loves him. I mean from what I can see she fell for him because he was domineering? It was strange and a little disappointing for the main romantic relationship in the novel. I was more convinced of her affection for the couple she lived with for awhile: Gudren and Alga (if you're thinking threesome than surprise! You're right =D It's kind of fun actually, mentally ticking off all the fandom sexy tropes she goes through in the book. There are alot).

I totally giggled at her olfs who are voyeuristic little Brownie-like creatures. Mostly because, well, voyeuristic little Brownie-like creatures! How would you not find that concept amusing?

I recommend this book for: Jacqueline Carey fans, people who like Nordic mythology, anyone in the mood for a softcore erotica/fantasy hybrid (hey I don't judge, I read it first).

Rating: C

No comments: